About the Institute
The Institute has been organized by the Resolution of the USSR Academy of Sciences No.448 of June 7, 1957 under the name “The Institute of Economics and Statistics of the Siberian Branch of the USSR Academy of Sciences”. Later, by the Resolution of the Presidium of the USSR Academy of Sciences No. 278 of May 9, 1958 it has been renamed as “The Institute of Economics and Industrial Engineering of the Siberian Branch of the USSR Academy of Sciences”.
Directors of the Institute:
- corresponding member of the USSR Academy of Sciences German A.Prudensky (1958-1966);
- academician (full member of the Russian Academy of Sciences) Abel G. Aganbegyan (1966-1985);
- academician Alexander G. Granberg (1985- 1991);
- academician Valery V. Kuleshov (1991-2017);
- corresponding Member of the RAS Valeriy A. Kryukov (since 2017).
The Main Research Areas of the Institute by Its Statute:
- development of the general economic theory, with use of mathematical methods and systematic statistics; research of the production dynamics and structural shifts in the economy of Russia;
- research of regularities and factors of the economic development in Russia, research of the institutional and social dynamics of the modern society;
- state regional policy; territorial management control and complex development of Siberia; modeling the spatial structure of economic development.
Priority areas within the Program of the fundamental scientific research of state academies for the years 2013-2020:
- XI.170. Analysis and modeling of the influence of the economics of knowledge and information technologies on the economic shifts, economic growth and life quality;
- XI.171. Development of methods for macroeconomic measurements;
- XI.172. Development of universal system theory and tools for modeling the functioning, evolution and interaction of social-economic objects on the nano-level, micro-level, and mezo-economic level (theory and models of social-economic synthesis);
- XI.173. Development of strategy of transformation of the social-economic space and territorial development in Russia;
- XI.174. Development of proposals for the state policy of the complex development of Siberia, North and Far East;
- XI.179. Social changes in Russia under reforms: transformation of the social structure, dynamics of the mass consciousness and social-political processes.
Scientific Groups (Schools)
- The school of academicians Abel Aganbegyan and Vladimir Kuleshov in the sphere of economic-mathematical modeling, analysis, planning and forecasting the country’s economy.
- The school of academician Alexander Granberg and the corresponding member of RAS Victor Suslov in the sphere of modeling and analyzing the long-term perspectives for spatial development of the Russian economy.
- The school of academician Tatiana Zaslavskaya and professor Tatiana Bogomolova, entitled as “The Novosibirsk economic-sociological school”.
- The school of the corresponding member of RAS Valery Kryukov in the sphere of economy of the subsoil management of Siberia, Russia and its Arctic regions.
Postgraduate and postdoctoral education is organized on the base of the Institute. Education is offered and held in 6 spheres. There are 3 dissertations councils for postdocs.
There are 8 departments within the Institute, including one in the city of Krasnoyarsk, 15 sectors (smaller units) and 6 laboratories, among them 4 laboratories are in the cities of Tomsk, Omsk, Kemerovo and Barnaul. The staff of the Institute includes 308 persons, among them there is one academician, three corresponding members of the RAS, 34 doctors of science, 93 candidates of science.
The Institute carries out a multisided integration of the scientific and educational activity. Here the main point is made up by cooperation with the Economic Department of the Novosibirsk State University: teaching, development and renewal of educational subjects, preparation of text books and manuals, running university chairs, supervision of students’ diploma works and postgraduates’ dissertations, participation in the president’s program of training managers for the Russian economy, etc.
On the base of the Institute, postgraduate and postdoctoral education has been organized. This education is hold in 6 areas, 3 doctors’ dissertation councils work successfully on a regular base. During 15 years within the Institute and the Novosibirsk State University (NSU) there has been working Special Department for retraining the top management of the Russian Federation. Now, as its further development, there is the Department for Additional Professional Training within the Economics Department of the NSU.
The Institute is a co-founder of the all-Russia economic journal “ECO”, and a co-founder and publisher of the all-Russia scientific journal “Region: Economics and Sociology”.
The Institute is a participant and organizer of international symposiums and conferences dedicated to pressing problems of strategic development of Siberia, as well as questions of cooperation of Siberia, Far East and countries of the Pacific region. Proceedings of these scientific events always get a big scientific and practical interest.
The Institute takes an active part in the work of different regional authorities. Leading scientists of the Institute are members of various bodies such as Coordinating Council of the Novosibirsk Governor on the problems of family, women and children; the Bureau of Association “Sociology of health”; Expert Council of Regional Administration Committee on the Youth problems; Coordinating Council of the Interregional Association “Siberian Agreement” on energy and resources, etc.
The Main Achievements of the Institute
- Information theory of value has been developed and is under further development.
- New methods and approaches for studying social institutions and their modernization within the transformation of the Russian society have been developed.
- New approaches and tools have been proposed in regards to creating the management system for production uniting its main functions, such as marketing, production, finance and accounting.
- Theory of interregional economic relations has been formulated and is under development.
- Methodology and techniques for developing economic programs on the state and regional level have been proposed.
- Methodological approaches for creating program documents on strategic development of Siberia have been developed, on the principles of project economy and state-private partnership.
- The optimization inter-sector interregional model (OIIM, in Russian-OMMM) has been created.
- Complex of models for coordinating regional and all-country decisions has been implemented (SIRENA).
- Complex of models for coordinating sectors and all-country decisions has been implemented (SONAR).
- The dynamic all-country economic model, with the financial block, has been developed.
The Main Applied Achievements
- The federal special program “Siberia”.
- The federal special program for developing the region of river Low Angara.
- The state consolidated program for economic and social development of the Russian North.
- The strategy of development for Siberia.
- The energy strategy for Siberia.
- The transport strategy for Siberia.
- The strategy of development for the Novosibirsk region.
- The strategy of development for the Krasnoyarsk region.